Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The 'free' compulsory training play

Maybe got a six month contract at a bank through a consultancy - got the bank nod but no contract yet.  High value to me as good money and  this would be my second bank stint and banking is the biggest employer in my field.

Met CEO smart hard sell guy who knows the market.  Wants to push his secret sauce consultant training on me before I start new gig. Of course he framed as a wonderful favour to me and of course they won't pay me for my time.   Downside for me is I couldn't care less about the training and I am still in a contract so it will cost me a day's pay.

Downside is small compared to benefit and this CEO is a headkicker so I don't think politely declining is an option.

So I think it's a situation where complying is in my greatest interest but I don't want to come across as powerless as that damages my reputation as a tough street smart consultant.

Just wondering how I can word it so I indirectly let him know I m not naieve but I m happy to offer the hand, be one of the team and help him build his business.

Bump

Quote from Transitioned on February 20, 2021, 10:55 pm

Met CEO smart hard sell guy who knows the market.  Wants to push his secret sauce consultant training on me before I start new gig. Of course he framed as a wonderful favour to me and of course they won't pay me for my time.   Downside for me is I couldn't care less about the training and I am still in a contract so it will cost me a day's pay.

Downside is small compared to benefit and this CEO is a headkicker so I don't think politely declining is an option.

I may not understand the full context.
Are you anticipating that you will lose the contract if you politely decline?

If you have the conversation, I may be able to understand better.
Did it go something like the following?

CEO: We would like you to come to our specially tailored programme for consultants.
It would take up a day of your time with us, and the contract could start a day later.

I'm guessing that you are paid by time on the contract.

Thanks.   Yes both r day rate contracts.  I m in a day rate contract job currently.  He said basically "...we ll provide blah BEFORE your placement.

What that means is I have to quit my PAID job a day earlier to do his branding/indoctrination exercise.

All the consultancies try and pretend they aren't body shops but they are.

This will lead to a whole bunch of social/training opportunities/demands on my personal time.  Never during your billable hours as that's where they take their cut.  I m trying to work out how to sideline some of the BS as every consultancy is like this.

And then 6 months down the track they ll sell you on the joys of going permanent, ie. a big pay cut.

Working for consultancies sucks but sometimes it's a way into an industry.

Processing...