Forum Moving

We’re transitioning to Discord.
Power University alumni, link here.
👉 Use Google to search this forum.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What books would you like to see TPM review next?

PreviousPage 7 of 7

Thank you Bel and Lucio! Downloaded in Audible.

Bel has reacted to this post.
Bel
Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on January 19, 2024, 5:03 pm
Quote from Bel on April 16, 2023, 1:52 am

I’m reading this book:

Red Flags - How to spot frenemies, underminers and toxic people in every part of your life by Wendy L. Patrick

I am at the start but, apart from the very appealing title for a TPM student, the book seems interesting as it points out several unconscious judgments we all make from seeing specific aspect of people’s life and behavior.

Just as one example, the writer speaks of a person who dressed well in court as defendant indicted of a crime, but immediately lost all the “positive feel” when the judge saw the three friends he had brought to court with him - who looked like addicts.

The judge inferred that those people were dressed as the defendant himself would have been, if he had not decided to dress well for court.

Thanks Bel, this was a hidden gem.

Read it, reviewed it, and queued it for publishing.

The author displays both experience, scientific-literature knowledge, and critical thinking skills.
Proper "3-pillars" work.

And ties it all together with a simple but effective framework.

Great stuff, would feature in a "best book for reading people" list.
Maybe in the future.

Thank you, Lucio.

OFF TOPIC

Wanted to share that the most important thing I learned from your book reviews is a meta-skill:

• learning to read books with a critical eye, ie not necessarily believing that everything the author writes is written in good faith.

Before, I would believe that what was written was written in good faith.

Now, I realize authors not only have biases, but some of them may also have hidden motives. What they write may not only be untrue, it sometimes may be misleading, either intentionally or due to unconscious biases.

No reference is made here to the book above mentioned, that seemed absolutely in good faith and true, as you mention.

END OFF TOPIC

Lucio Buffalmano, John Freeman and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoJohn FreemanJackKavalierPower Duck

OFF-TOPIC

Thank you for the note, Bel.

It's precious feedback.

And an important reason why I keep writing the reviews.

As much to give that "TPM's take" that you can hardly find anywhere else, than for the content.

OFF-TOPIC

John Freeman, Jack and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
John FreemanJackBelPower Duck
Book a call. Offer now only valid for Power University alumni during checkout
Quote from faruba zaruba on January 24, 2024, 2:09 am

[Book Review Requests] Leaders Lie: The Truth About Lying in International Politics by John J. Mearsheimer

Great book on Leadership, realpolitik, and the power dynamics of leading at the highest levels. I've been impressed on the high volume of high quality sources and would like to make this request and people's response.

Main takeaways:

1 – Leaders do not lie very often to other countries, but instead seem more inclined to lie to their own people. Although lying is widely viewed as reprehensible behaviour in ordinary life, it is acceptable conduct in international politics because there are sometimes good strategic reasons for leaders to lie to other countries and even to their own people. Nevertheless, there is actually not much lying between states. Leaders do lie to other countries on occasion, but much less often than one might think.

2 – Leaders appear to be more likely to lie to their own people about foreign policy issues than to other countries. That certainly seems to be true for democracies that pursue ambitious foreign policies and are inclined to initiate wars of choice, i.e., when there is not a clear and imminent danger to a country’s vital interests that can only be dealt with by force.

Actionable Insights:

– The three different forms of lying; lying, spinning and concealment.

– The inventory of international lies, what they are and why they are used.

– The costs and benefits of each type of lie.

Hi Faruba,

Lucio read that book a while back, you can find the review for it here:

Edit:

Moved a comment to the original thread.

Lucio Buffalmano and Jack have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoJack

I was reading this book:

Pathological Lying. Theory, Reasearch, and Practice, by Drew A. Curtis and Christian L. Hart.

Initially I thought it would be a good book to mention here. But then I read this:

“... one anonymous person in our blog study indicated that they were incorrectly diagnosed with ASPD, resulting in not wanting to go back to a clinician... The person stated, "I'm a textbook pathological liar.... But I would like help with this, any this? ... I got falsely diagnosed with ASPD not long ago, so I refuse to go back". At least in this case, an incorrect diagnosis of a personality disorder demotivated the individual to seek out psychological services.”

The passage is interesting because it shows that the authors of the book, ie experts on the subject of pathological lying, still chose to believe the assertion, made by a self-proclaimed pathological and all-pervasive liar, that his anti-social personality disorder (aka sociopathy) diagnosis was false.

But, by his self-admission, this guy was an all-pervasive pathological liar!

In other words, to me it is more probable that the person was lying when mentioning that his diagnosis was false, than the reverse...

I still finished the book, but didn't get any meaningful insight from it, apart from the fact that an expert on lying may still be fooled by a liar - as Robert Hare well said 🙂

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano
PreviousPage 7 of 7
Processing...
Scroll to Top