Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Definitive dictionary of power

PreviousPage 16 of 16

Thank you, Anon!

Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

From John's journal:

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on May 14, 2022, 4:35 pm

Or, alternatively, "yeah, that's our early time".

Very high power, without being confrontational or gamey.
The second even agrees with him, thus briding and maintaining rapport, but form a position of equal -or even higher- power.

Sub-communication being:

it is what it is, your thoughts about it won't change it (and don't matter)

I'm not sure if it's PU that lists it now under the high-dominance behavior, or if it's in the negotiating lesson spun-off in Business University.

But it's listed as a high-power approach that some negotiators adopt when they have all the leverage.

I'm thinking of coming up with a name for this approach.

It's a form of "take it or leave it", but it's more rapport-preserving.

So maybe something like:

• Friendly TIOLI
  • Power-protecting TIOLI
  • Rapport-preserving TIOLI
Bel has reacted to this post.
Bel

I also see it as a way of surfacing the request hidden in the remark by the other person. He said something like: “But it’s too early!”; however, he didn’t ask to postpone the time.
So it was fair to restate the original time. Had he asked, the answer could have been different.

Quote from Bel on May 18, 2022, 11:35 am

I also see it as a way of surfacing the request hidden in the remark by the other person. He said something like: “But it’s too early!”; however, he didn’t ask to postpone the time.
So it was fair to restate the original time. Had he asked, the answer could have been different.

Hmmm I didn't see it much as surfacing.

The original comment was more of an empty complaint and a rebuke for poor planning.

It's possible that it will later lead to surfacing IF the original complainer then asks to change the time, but that is all up to him and it's not heavily prompted by your comment.
I see it as more of an end statement / technique, rather than anything leading to anything else.

It might lead somewhere else, but you're totally happy to end it there.

The sub-communication is:

It is what it is, and won't change. Adapt if you wanna join, or see you.

PreviousPage 16 of 16
Processing...