Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I hired a marketing team to brainstorm The Power Moves tagline

The Beginning of My Journey

A few years ago, I was abandoned, suicidal, and alone. I didn't have anyone and after fighting to survive on my own, I started to tell myself I didn't need anyone.

Then, I found all of you.

I've made a lot of mistakes in this forum—this community. You can click my name to see my profile and go back to my earlier posts, you'll notice a slew of WIIFT fails.

But, I always took criticism and implemented it the next time I posted. I always got back up from the pain of those failures. Even when it hurt, I would do my best to ask for feedback so I could do better the next time around.

It's interesting how identical kinds of pain can be so different in nature or intention. One kind of pain beating you down and another building you up, yet both feeling almost the exact same.

There were times when this community gave me positivity, love, and encouragement. And, times when this community gave me the kind of pain that pushes me forward—the kind that turns a regular man into a leader.

None of you ever gave me the destructive kind of pain. The kind that people from my past showed me without empathy, compassion, or regret. And, for that, I'm grateful to every single one of you here. I'm proud to say that I consider you all as my TPM family.

The new tagline for The Power Moves

So, I started thinking, what can I do to give value to more than Lucio, but all of The Power Moves family?

Well, we do like to talk about collaborative frames here, so I figured there'd be nothing better than some good ol' collaboration.

I hired a small team of marketing experts—one of the team members being a published author and another a marketing director for over 20 years. I started working with them to bring back five custom, persuasive, branded taglines for this community. I gave them all of the information surrounding Power University, the taglines we've brainstormed already, and the taglines on Lucio's LinkedIn "Experience" section. On top of that, I made sure they did some thorough competitor research to make sure all our bases are covered.

Here are the taglines they brought back along with their reasonings:

• From Clueless Underdog to Master of Your Life Experience (= "Based this one on some of the things you wrote at the beginning.")
  • When You Need Truth that Leads to Results (= "Trying to summarize what you offer here.")
  • Truth to Power, Lost to Found, Nothing to Everything (= "This one is a little quirky but it still covers what you do.")
  • Making Your Life Experience Follow the Script You Wrote (= "Another twist on the idea of empowering them.")
  • From Powerless to Powerful with No Wasted Time In Between (= "I tried to REALLY summarize what it is you do.")
  • When You Decide You Want to Create Your Own Life (= "Tapping into the true desire of your prospects.")
  • Go From Life Leading You to You Leading Life (= "Another twist on the powerless to powerful idea.")
  • Where REAL Personal Power Begins (= "Just a one-off thought that popped into my head.")
  • Power Dynamics for Life (= "Another quickie one-off, sometimes those work well.")
  • Learning to Live Your Life on Your Terms (= "Another one that speaks of empowerment.")
  • (How to) Be the Hero of Your Own Life (= "Joseph Cambell talks about seeing ourselves as the hero of our own life story. The How-To is optional.")
  • The Shortcut from Victim to Hero (= "Another twist on the hero idea.")

Based on these taglines they gave me, this is some of the feedback I gave them:

Ali: "Really happy with how the taglines turned out, they're very well thought out and I appreciate the notes you wrote under each one. The only revision I'm looking for is to see taglines that speak to not only the flagship course Power University, but the brand, mission, and values of The Power Moves as a whole."

So, I gave them these three vital guidelines to focus on for recreating the tagline:

1. We want the taglines to reflect our mission more than our product. Examples of sayings we often use on our mission include:
    a.) “You can’t soar with the eagles if you’re always scratching with the turkeys... Soar as high as you can! You'll meet other eagles.”
    b.) "You can only scratch with the turkeys for so long before you become one. Soar up."
    c.) "To be good, you first need to be bad".
    d.) "Only two things rise to the top: the cream and the scum."
    e.) “There is a hint of Robin Hood spirit in The Power Moves, and the belief that it helps make for a better world.”
  2. We want the taglines to reflect our values more than our product. (There’s no need to try and fit or pack both our mission and our values into the same tagline, you have full creative freedom as marketing experts there.) A list of our values is linked below.
    a.) Values | The Power Moves
  3. We want the name “The Power Moves” to be somewhere in the tagline.

*Note: It was definitely weird using "we" as if I represent The Power Moves since that's definitely not the case. But, it felt necessary and "OK" given the circumstances. If you have feedback on my use of "we" here, I'm more than open to it in the Feedback and Clarifications thread.

And, with that in mind, we went back to the drawing board as they crafted brand new taglines to bring back for approval. After a few days, this is what they came up with:

• The Power Moves The Produce Integrity Deep Dives on Core Issues that Develop Integrity (= "My first thought after reading your notes above and shifting through the chain of ideas sent.")
  • Power Moves/Core Values That Deliver Integrity and Always Give More (= "Differentiating between the cream and the scum.")
  • Teaching Givers the Core Values They Can Grow on For Life (= "I don’t think you can turn scum into givers, so my assumption that your course will attract the givers is where this came from.")
  • Strength Through Integrity, Power Through Knowledge (= "I love the word integrity, it has so many deep meanings these days and always brings with it the idea of quality, of being real, and of delivering on your promises.")
  • Core Values Revealed that Develop Integrity in Action (= "I just like the idea of integrity in action.")
  • Integrity in Action (= "Ditto lol.")

You guys are all valued here and so is your input. So, I'd like to know which of these you like best even if Lucio doesn't end up going with any of them. I want to collaborate with you all on coming up with a good tagline for the awesome community we've created here.

Regardless of all that, I hope everyone reading this is doing well, staying safe, and staying healthy. Big e-hug!

Lucio Buffalmano, Matthew Whitewood and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Lucio BuffalmanoMatthew WhitewoodStefselffriend

Thank you Ali

This one make me smile :

"Power Dynamics for Life"

So simple, elegant yet effective and memorable.

A little longer variant:

"power dynamics, for an empowered value adding life"

Ali Scarlett has reacted to this post.
Ali Scarlett

Thanks for your input, Stef!

When they sent that one, at first, it felt too simplistic in comparison to the larger "cream and scum" type analogies.

But, now that you mention it Stef, yea, it's growing on me :).

Especially, since Lucio mentioned a while back that The Power Moves wasn't ranked number one for the term "power dynamics" (that might have since changed, not sure yet).

From an SEO perspective, it seems to be a bit difficult for TPM for that term since it seems to be competing with a website that uses the literal domain name http://www.powerdynamics.com. So, using that tagline around the site might help with ranking.

From a mission and values perspective, it truly does encompass everything we talk about here. And, could possibly even position Lucio—as well as any contributing members such as yourself—as thought leaders in the self-development space for encouraging the idea of "power dynamics for life".

As an added note, I also like the "power dynamics, for an empowered, value-adding life". Yet, I think the term "value-adding" is sort of an "insider" word we use here that might not resonate with people newer to power dynamics or the community. One that might have more reach would be something everyone knows, understands, and thinks about: "power dynamics, for an empowered, successful life".

Stef has reacted to this post.
Stef

Ali, man, this is awesome!

Thank you so much!!

Very touching and inspiring post in the beginning (so happy for your personal progress!), and also very practical as it moved into the taglines -something that was left unfinished in that previous thread-.

Why coming up with a tagline was a difficult task for the team

I think it was a difficult task for the marketing team.

They had to put together different aspects of the TPM's "culture", and since having them all in one tagline was difficult, they had to decide what to prioritize.

That's probably why, at least to me, the first taglines sounded better than the revised ones: they were more compact and clear.

Frankly, before taking some time to reflect for this post, I was also quite clueless (so thank you Ali for the opportunity of gaining some more clarity on this).

The "Components" of TPM

Among the main "components" that define TPM:

• Self-Empowerment (general self-development, with the various resources reviews + Ultimate Power)

This aspect is as important as all the other ones, and it includes all mental aspects such as learner's mindset, antifragile ego, etc.

But because they're not the defining feature and not exclusive to TPM, I'm thnking it shouldn't be in the tagline.

• Enlightenment

This might be considered "advanced self-development", which includes mindsets and attitudes like "higher levels of belonging (human race VS genders, skin colors, countries, etc.)", "enlightened individualism" (rather than falling prey to ideologies), etc.

• Be good to be bad (this is the more Power-Aware aspect of self-development that is addressed under the "power dynamics" umbrella)

As important as general self-development.

But you need this part for effective self-development since general self-development without this part is vacuous -"naive self-development"-.

Since TPM is the only place that started systematically addressing this aspect, this is truly unique to TPM.

Both the founding value:

To be good, you need to be bad

And the tagline:

"The cream and the scum rise to the top"

Refer to this aspect of TPM.

Also Machiavelli's quote in the homepage, "a good man is ruined among the great numbers who are not good" refers to this aspect.

• Integrity (the "high-quality" / value-adding aspect VS the mere "high-value", which is without integrity)

TPM's approach is to often explain what works, and then to add the "integrity" aspect.

Luckily, the integrity aspect sometimes, maybe even often, overlaps with what's effective -especially in the longer run-.
But some other times, integrity and value-adding is also a personal choice, and TPM happens to generally espouse that choice -unless the person you're dealing with is a real SOB, there are always some exceptions).

• Robin-hood spirit

The current tagline:

Power moves for the underdogs

Refers to this aspect.

And the Batman cover image that this website used a few times refers to this aspect as well: Batman fights the "good" fight in defense of the victims.

The turkeys/eagles metaphor: good enough to cover all the aspects?

What do you guys think of the turkeys/eagles metaphor?

I personally thought it fit well -plus the current logo is an eagle-.

So I'm thinking that the turkeys/eagles metaphors might cover different aspects of TPM at once.

The eagle is:

• Empowered: form a power-awareness point of view, and, in a way, it reached the top
  • Enlightened: watches the world from above, doesn't get mired into petty turkey-squabbles, stays "above the fray", doesn't push down on others for petty social climbing. It touches on the antifragile ego as well
  • Integrity: albeit the eagle might not directly link with integrity, the "above the fray" imagery partially incorporates integrity. The one who is above the fray doesn't feel the need to demean or take advantage of others
  • Robin-hood: this one might not be covered, unless... Unless we extended that eagle into somewhat a Phoenix, either by adding some ashes to the logo, or adding a reference in the tagline. In that case, the underdogs of the world can empower themselves to "reborn" as eagles. I like that :).

"Power Dynamics for Life" = Too Specific?

I like this one too.

The only issue I see with it is that "power dynamics" is not easily recognizable.

Power Dynamics is more something that people become familiar with after they've learned a few things from TPM. But the first time they stumble upon it, they might wonder "what the hell is that?".

The other downside is that it addresses only one aspect -albeit one of the most important ones-.

Edit: read Ali's post while I was typing. Exactly, "power dynamics" is more an insider thing. Indeed, few people search for "power dynamics" on Google.

"Be the Hero of Your Own Life" = Great, but maybe too general? 

I really like this one.

It evokes the sense of empowerment, the "self-sufficiency" of the "enlightened individualist", and reminds of the antifragile ego, and freedom from judges: you don't need external approval.

It also has the mythic component of the "Robin Hood" or Batman, and it evokes the hero's journey.

I think the imagery of a myth-based tagline might exert a stronger pull than an overly practical one.

The potential downside I see with it is that it's not very TPM-unique.
What do you guys think?

From victim to hero is also interesting, but that would leave out folks who didn't feel like "victims".

Eagle-based taglines

Similar to the above, but with the ego imagery:

• Unleash your inner eagle
  • Unleash the eagle within
  • Giving wings to your ambitions
  • Giving wings to your dreams (maybe too cutesy, too "inspirational", not practical and concrete)

"Inspiring" taglines

TPM is more about practical strategies than inspiration, but maybe something could work:

• Be the example you wish you had = captures the reality that most people don't have great role models, touches on the "integrity" dimension
  • Where dreams turn into actionable strategies

The "teaser" taglines

I'm thinking about a "teaser" that might make people want to read more.
Something like:

• What the top 1% wants to keep secret

But it might feel a bit too snake-oily.

"Be good to be bad" taglines

To be continued...

After the second shot of Covid vaccine with some light side effects + a very long day... I better stop for now, I know the quality of my thoughts is declining.

As I like to say: knowing your limits (approaching) is the very first of your strengths :).

P.S.: on "we"
Ali, you're written for TPM, came up with several definitions and concepts, contributed to refining and coming up with several different ones, you've grown in the community and made the community grow... I think you've more than earned your stripes for that "we" :).

Ali Scarlett, Stef and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Ali ScarlettStefselffriend
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?

What comes to mind is

Power Strategies for the Good

Ali, you have been going the extra mile to contribute to the forum.
Thank you so much!
I think it's safe to say that we all really appreciate your efforts.

I'm glad to be part of this community as a source of personal growth too.

After the second shot of Covid vaccine with some light side effects + a very long day... I better stop for now, I know the quality of my thoughts is declining.

As I like to say: knowing your limits (approaching) is the very first of your strengths :).

I had a shot of anti-histamines today for allergies (hives).
So drowsy. I may have talked some nonsense on my video calls.
Decided to sleep for the rest of the day.

Ali Scarlett has reacted to this post.
Ali Scarlett

Lucio: "Ali, man, this is awesome! Thank you so much!! Very touching and inspiring post in the beginning (so happy for your personal progress!), and also very practical as it moved into the taglines -something that was left unfinished in that previous thread-."

Glad you appreciate it, Lucio!

Matthew: "Power Strategies for the Good."

Ah, looks like a spin on the idea of, "You need to learn how to be bad in order to be good, so here are some power strategies to help you learn how to be bad."

Yet, if they don't have the power strategies already, maybe that means they're not "good" yet. So, perhaps another one would be, "Power Strategies for the Upcoming Leader (= still rethinking that one)."

Matthew: "Ali, you have been going the extra mile to contribute to the forum. Thank you so much! I think it's safe to say that we all really appreciate your efforts. I'm glad to be part of this community as a source of personal growth too."

Thanks for saying that, Matthew, I consider you a friend and I'm glad to be able to connect with awesome people like you here.

Matthew: "I had a shot of anti-histamines today for allergies (hives). So drowsy. I may have talked some nonsense on my video calls. Decided to sleep for the rest of the day."

Are you feeling any better yet?

Matthew: "Ali, you have been going the extra mile to contribute to the forum. Thank you so much! I think it's safe to say that we all really appreciate your efforts. I'm glad to be part of this community as a source of personal growth too."

Ali: Thanks for saying that, Matthew, I consider you a friend and I'm glad to be able to connect with awesome people like you here.

Thank you Ali :)! Likewise, always happy to connect and exchange over here.

Matthew: "I had a shot of anti-histamines today for allergies (hives). So drowsy. I may have talked some nonsense on my video calls. Decided to sleep for the rest of the day."

Ali: Are you feeling any better yet?

All good man.
It was a weird feeling.
Though probably opposite to what Lucio is feeling.
The vaccine induces an immune reaction.
Anti-histamines probably reduce the effects of an immune reaction.

Quote from Ali Scarlett on April 22, 2021, 7:41 pm

Matthew: "Power Strategies for the Good."

Ah, looks like a spin on the idea of, "You need to learn how to be bad in order to be good, so here are some power strategies to help you learn how to be bad."

Yet, if they don't have the power strategies already, maybe that means they're not "good" yet. So, perhaps another one would be, "Power Strategies for the Upcoming Leader (= still rethinking that one)."

Sprang to mind:

Machiavellian Strategies for the Upcoming Leader
(Insert a learn to be bad to be good phrase)
Battle the scum to the top; Rise as the cream

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Good one, Ali/Matthew.

Building on top of that

• (Power) Strategies for tomorrow's leader (negative side is that it excludes those who are already leaders)
  • (Life) strategies for the new breed of leaders
  • Evidence-based strategies for a new breed of leaders

I like the "new breed" part as it evokes the idea of new technologies/strategies/mindsets, which does reflect TPM's novel approach.

Thoughts?

With "heroes":

• Strategies for real world-heroes (doesn't work as well as it doesn't have the "journey" feeling)
  • Power strategies for real-world heroes
Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
Processing...