Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Lucio's journal

Quote from Lucio Buffalmano on May 4, 2021, 5:38 am

Yeah, I'd call it "one-upping", but covert aggression wouldn't be too much of a stretch either.

I agree with not pushing the tip, albeit that will probably lead to a smaller total amount of tips.

But, "pushing it" can lead to annoyed customers, fewer people coming back, and lower reviews.

I'd be curious to see a study comparing both approaches, and checking for the difference.

I guess we could go in the middle.
A low-pressure, assertive way of persuasion to get tips like our approach of enlightened collaboration on this website.
It's a variation of the "On Your Honour Gambit" I suppose.

Tour Guide: Absolutely no pressure to give tips.
Give what you think is fair.
Typically people give 5 USD as an amount. (Help people to decide on the normal amount)
Though someone has given me up to 30 USD because he really enjoyed some of the personal advice I shared with him. (Social proof + highlight how he can really add value)
I will come around at the end of the trip and ask you for your thoughts. (Make it personal & apply small social pressure)
Once again, no pressure. (Protect people's freedom)
Any amount of tip will help me continue with what I'm doing if you or your friends choose to come back for another tour. (Signal future value)

Rapport Building Opportunity

Still in the American continent actually, I think that if I had met a French in France that all those talks about France/Italy would have made less sense, since it'd be far more common for local French guides to meet Italians.

Hmmm, this actually makes me think that he could have played up all the commonalities between France and Italy instead of breaking rapport.

Renting Straight From the Dealership

Chances are pretty low you or someone reading here might look into that exact thing, but in case you're in LA and want to rent a (super)car, rent straight from the dealership where you drive just by yourself (what I also suggested in the review).

That being said, mental empowerment is also about not letting a bad apple derail your whole experience and personal enjoyment.
So all in all, it was still awesome.

A picture speaks a thousand words indeed :).
Straight from the dealership, it is.

Lucio Buffalmano and selffriend have reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmanoselffriend
Quote from Matthew Whitewood on May 4, 2021, 10:28 aa

Tour Guide: Absolutely no pressure to give tips.
Give what you think is fair.
Typically people give 5 USD as an amount. (Help people to decide on the normal amount)
Though someone has given me up to 30 USD because he really enjoyed some of the personal advice I shared with him. (Social proof + highlight how he can really add value)
I will come around at the end of the trip and ask you for your thoughts. (Make it personal & apply small social pressure)
Once again, no pressure. (Protect people's freedom)
Any amount of tip will help me continue with what I'm doing if you or your friends choose to come back for another tour. (Signal future value)

Rapport Building Opportunity

Still in the American continent actually, I think that if I had met a French in France that all those talks about France/Italy would have made less sense, since it'd be far more common for local French guides to meet Italians.

Hmmm, this actually makes me think that he could have played up all the commonalities between France and Italy instead of breaking rapport.

I like that approach.
Very power-protecting, while also retaining most of the advantages of the "pushier" approach.

And yes, and that is generally true of almost any encounter one can have: you can (almost) always either play up the commonalities or play up the differences.
And playing up the commonalities generally leads to higher (social) success.

Matthew Whitewood has reacted to this post.
Matthew Whitewood
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?