Please or Register to create posts and topics.

New reviews (TPM resources list updates)

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next
Quote from John Freeman on July 27, 2022, 8:19 pm

I'm reading: the review from the Gervais Principles: chills down my spine. This is my organization.

John, check out this thread where we are digging deeper on the concept

New "realpolitik" book:

A few great ones are coming next though: "Power Why Some People Have It" will enter and displace some other books in various "best of lists" and "The Disease to Please" is also a fantastic book for "too nice guys and girls" and for becoming more assertive.

why leaders lie book cover

lilsim and Bel have reacted to this post.
lilsimBel
Have you read the forum guidelines for effective communication already?
  • The Disease to Please one of the best resources for too nice guys and girls who struggle to say no, who are afraid of disappointing others, and who put themselves last.
    I consider it as a resource for before PU, since you want to address the "holes" before you start building the tower

the disease to please book cover

Bel has reacted to this post.
Bel

The first podcast we review on TPM:

charlie and ben podcast logo

Kavalier and Bel have reacted to this post.
KavalierBel
  • Radical Acceptance: a good book on Buddhism and self-acceptance, with a powerful reminder that self-help better start from self-acceptance first (or, at least, that's how I interpreted, I think the author could have made that even clearer)

radical acceptance book cover

lilsim, Kavalier and Bel have reacted to this post.
lilsimKavalierBel

Great new addition that will make it into some of the "best of" lists:

• Power,  a good mix of research-backed theory and practical wisdom.
    • Theoretical part, in brief, says that politics and power dynamics are ubiquitous and inescapable and as important to your success as your actual output and performance, if not more.
    • Practical part has both a mental and self-development part, and one for strategies that cover networking, reputation and a few more. Not as comprehensive as PU of course, but there were a couple of really good golden nuggets that will make it into PU (and "Business University").
      And then of course there is the overlap between the two: just by learning the theory, you'll likely be more aware and attentive, and that makes you more effective.

Thanks to Ali for the tip.

power by Jeffrey Pfeffer book cover

J_J, Ali Scarlett and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
J_JAli ScarlettlilsimKavalierBel

Downloaded. Thanks for “when men behave badly”. Loved it despite some overlap in the material with the evolution of desire. However I understand that as a stand alone some foundations have to be laid. Great book based on Science.

New review:

Unfortunately, I was fairly disappointed by the lack of organization, ranting, and lack of practical, "do this" information.

But, if you're a Jordan Peterson fan, you might enjoy it.

And, at the very least, this review contains some ideas you won't find in the other Peterson reviews here on TPM (at the time of this post's writing, that is :).

Lucio Buffalmano has reacted to this post.
Lucio Buffalmano

Not technically a review, but a foundational article for TPM's reviews section that will be quoted in a large chunk of reviews.

We often talked about "naive self-help" here, and we finally made an article on it explaining what it is, plus examples:

book allegory for self-help concept

And the article on "optimum balance" that the community helped to name is also out.
It will also feature in quite a few reviews that mistakenly promote ineffective extremes:

John Freeman, Bel and leaderoffun have reacted to this post.
John FreemanBelleaderoffun

The official Lean Startup course (as linked to from their main site):

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next
Processing...